Quilt Out Loud! Episode Notes
May 2011 Episode
The theme of this month’s show is The Military. Jodie and Mark are at The Red Mill Museum Village in Clinton, New Jersey to visit the Stars and Stripes, Fabric of the American Spirit exhibit of parade flags. Mark’s door knock is with Love of Quilting’s Marianne Fons explaining the Under Our Wings project which is part of the Quilts of Valor program. In their What’s Up segment Jodie talks about how the Love of Quilting staff worked together to make quilts for the platoon of the husband of one of their own deployed in Afghanistan. And, Mark shows how bright colors make his 1860’s house sing. Amy Hollander, executive director of the museum, shows Mark the exhibit’s flags on display explaining they were carried in parades. The 72 flags, which will be on display until June 14, are part of the private collection of local resident J. Richard Pierce.
Visit with Marianne Fons at International Quilt Market in Houston to kick off the Under Our Wings project which is part of the Quilts of Valor program. Since 2003 over 32,000 quilts have been donated to post deployment combat veterans. The project is a brilliant synergy teaching people to quilt while quilting for a cause. Nine fabric companies have created special fabrics and quilts for the project so you can make a quilt and/or mentor a new quilter. A “coach” brings her own machine and tools and the “rookie” does the sewing. Check your local quilt shop for a workshop in your area.
Join Jodie in her sewing room setting up to make her Quilts of Valor quilt. She is using the Quilts of Valor kit by Moda Fabrics. Jodie offers her tips for organizing to sew and sewing the blocks for the quilt. Nine fabric companies have deigned quilt kits, so choose one and make your own Quilt of Valor!
Then it’s back to the Red Mill Museum Village in Clinton, New Jersey for Jodie and Mark’s review of books that show us ways to spruce up our homes. And, Jodie and Mark show their Quilt Out Loud! DVD showing all 12 of the first year’s episodes.
- Pennies from Heaven, Celebrated Quilt and Companion Projects by Gretchen Gibbons – That Patchwork Place
- Heartfelt Giving, Sew and Quilt for Family and Friends by Marie Osmond – That Patchwork Place
- Welcome Home by Kaffe Fassett – Landauer
- Quick and Easy Home Sewing Projects – Reader’s Digest
- Sew Decorative, Quick and Easy Home Accents from Sew News – Martingale & Co., Inc.
- A Beginners Guide to Embroidered Boxes by Janet Edmonds – Search Press
- Fresh Felt Flowers by Lynne Farris – C&T Publishing
- Stars and Stripes, Fabric of the American Spirit by J. Richard Pierce – available at Red Mill Village Museum
- Quilt Out Loud! DVD – available at marklipinski.com